The Village of Hillsborough is located in southeastern New Brunswick, on the banks of the Petitcodiac River, approximately 30 kilometers south of the city of Moncton, close to Hopewell Rocks and Fundy National Park. We are situated on route 114, which is a major tourist route to the Hopewell Rocks Park, Fundy National Park and the Fundy Scenic Drive. We are proud to promote ourselves as the “Eastern Gateway to the Fundy Tidal Zone”.
Taking pride in our rural character, Hillsborough is a prime destination for the outdoor enthusiast. Our marshes and wetlands offer excellent bird watching opportunities. Trail systems throughout the wetlands and abandoned quarry properties provide residents and visitors a natural setting for a leisurely walk. The young at heart can enjoy the challenge of a fast-paced mountain bike tour through diverse and picturesque trails.
Our Village is full of eastern hospitality and community pride. Hundreds of volunteers from the community make it possible to provide fire service, minor hockey and figure skating programs, annual festivals and celebrations and many other services that make the Village of Hillsborough one of the best communities to live in. Service clubs continue to volunteer their time to upgrade municipal facilities so that our residents have all the opportunities of the large urban areas.
There is much to do and see in Hillsborough—be sure to make this a long stop along your journey.
Hillsborough is a small rural municipality with a population of 1,350 people as of the 2011 census. Since our incorporation in 1966, our population of 693 has grown by 95%. In the early to mid 1970's several sub-divisions were developed and in spite of the closure of a gypsum manufacturing plant in 1980, our residential development continued to grow.
The tax base for Hillsborough as of January 1, 2013 is $70,142,750. The tax rate for 2013 is $1.3460 per one hundred dollars of assessment and our combined water and sewer user fee is $522 per annum. Water rates are $296 per annum and sewer rates are $226 per annum.
Weekly 50/50 Draw - The Hillsborough Volunteer Fire Department will be holding a weekly 50/50 Draw to raise funds for a new Rescue Vehicle. The draws are held on Saturdays at 6:00pm and the deadline for ticket purchases is 2:00pm. There is a one time registration fee of $3.00 and the weekly cost is $2.00 per number. Once you are assigned a number, it will remain yours permanently. You may pay weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, or any way you prefer, but your number must be paid for in order to win the weekly prize. Tickets may be purchased at Cooke's Quik Mart or the Hillsborough Irving. Please support your Volunteer Fire Department by purchasing a number, giving yourself the chance to win some cash as well. Everyone wins when we all work together!
Established as Blanchard’s Village in the 1700’s, Acadians farmed the area for sixty years before moving further up the valley. German immigrants arrived via Pennsylvania in 1766 and one year later took over the empty fields and resumed the Acadian dykes. In 1765, township was granted to Hillsborough, named in honour of Lord Hillsborough—the Secretary of State and one of the Lord’s Commissioners of Trade and Plantations. Hillsborough was later incorporated as a Village in November 1966. Hillsborough’s first elected Mayor, Vaughn Snider, is still active in various community projects, committees and organizations today.
While the Acadians and early German settlers of the area focused on farming, the rich woodlands could not be ignored. Soon, lumbering became a profitable business in the area. Vessels were loaded with lumber and shipped to the British market—to be used for the sailing masts of the British fleet.
Little is known of the first discovery of gypsum in Hillsborough. However, there is evidence that individuals mined the mineral and sold the raw gypsum to masters of small coasting vessels—who would resell the material elsewhere. In 1854 Calvin Tompkins purchased the mineral rights for a large parcel of land, located in what is now the Village of Hillsborough, and he established the Albert Manufacturing Company. A large milling establishment was erected to crush, grind and calcine gypsum. The gypsum, obtained from nearby mines and quarries, was transported to the mill via horse carts at first, and later by locomotive. After being processed, gypsum products were transported to the wharf where it was shipped locally and to the United States. In 1873, a fire resulted in the total destruction of the mill and adjacent buildings; however, a new mill was built and put into operation in 1875. The completion of the Intercolonial railway in 1876 opened up the Canadian market to the local company and trade rapidly increased. A second fire in 1911 again destroyed the mill and surrounding buildings. As before, the mill was rebuilt and when it re-opened in 1912, it was the largest of its kind in Canada at the time.
The Canadian Gypsum Company purchased the mill from the Albert Manufacturing Company in 1930 and operated the establishment until 1980. In the later years, wallboard and other gypsum products were shipped by truck. When the Canadian Gypsum Company closed its operation in 1980, the Village of Hillsborough became owners of all the gypsum properties within the Village limits. The Village Council promoted “free land” in an effort to attract some industrial base, employment opportunities and to enhance the quality of life in Hillsborough. As a result, the former gypsum company land has been used for the following projects:
653-acres of land have been set aside for recreational use such as: orienteering, mountain biking, snowshoeing, hiking and exploring.
|Salem & Hillsborough Railroad Inc.
Hillsborough Municipal Office & Public Library
Gray Brook Marsh Wildlife Habitat & Trails
Nelson’s Waste Remediation & Recycling Depot
Riverside Modelers Remote Control Airplane Field
Hillsborough Wetland Park & Visitor Information Centre
|W.H. Steeves House Museum
Kiwanis Senior’s Apartments
Burro Hills Golf Course
Kiwanis Community Centre
Caledonia Place Senior’s Apt.
There is still an abundant supply of gypsum close to the Village. Gypsum dry products such as agriculture gypsum, wallboard, plaster-of-paris, dental plaster, etc. are always in demand. Other natural assets in or near Hillsborough include: rich marshlands which could be utilized for agriculture purposes; oil shale; natural gas; and woodland. Due to its recent growth, tourism and recreation could become the new “industry” in Hillsborough.